Hello! I'm Nicole. I'm a wife, mother to two girls, an ob/gyn physician, and certified integrative health and wellness coach. I'm here to help women like you have healthy births and healthy lives!
click here to get your free guide to pain management in labor
How i got here
I started out in medicine planning to combine patient care and research. I spent 7 years at research and I was pretty miserable. Add to that, in my clinical practice as a physician, I was struggling with the demands to see more patients in less time. One day when I had 2 patients scheduled for the same time - again - I finally realized I had to do something different.
In my soul searching about what to do next I came across integrative health coaching. I went through a rigorous training program at Duke Integrative Medicine and became a certified integrative health coach. As a health coach I use a holistic, evidence-based approach to help women make positive, lasting changes to their health.
I've now combined my knowledge and experience as an ob/gyn physician with my holistic training as a health coach to create the perfect online birth preparation course. It has all the information needed for a healthy and fulfilling birth experience.
Online Birth Preparation Course. This course helps you set the right tone for your birth, goes over the nitty gritty details of labor, prepares you for the possibilities, gets you ready for the postpartum period, and teaches you how to effectively communicate your birth wishes. It's for all women who intend to have a vaginal birth.
Personalized Health Coaching. I provide one-to-one coaching by phone or video chat. My program takes into account that your health is more than just physical. It's emotional, social, spiritual...even your environment affects your health. I'm your guide, supporter, and accountability partner through a process that helps you take action, sustain forward momentum, and develop healthy habits that last.
Speaking Services. My interactive presentations leave participants with concrete steps to improve their health and well-being.
My education & training
- Duke Integrative Health Coaching Professional Training Program
- Master of Public Health (MPH), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Training, Duke University Medical Center, Administrative Chief Resident
- Doctor of Medicine (MD), Eastern Virginia Medical School, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Bachelor of Science (BS) Mechanical Engineering, North Carolina A&T State University, Top 10 in School of Engineering
- Bachelor of Science (BS) Mathematics, Spelman College, Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
do i still practice medicine
I sure do! I work as an ob/gyn hospitalist. Most of my clinical time is spent on labor and delivery helping women bring life into this world. I absolutely love it and am a passionate advocate for helping women have a safe and fulfilling birth experience. I also volunteer at a clinic where I provide free care to low income women who don't have health insurance.
5 facts about me
- In 2007 my first daughter was born 8 weeks premature. She had an intestinal malformation called duodenal atresia that required surgery. She spent 1 month in the NICU but she’s perfectly healthy now :).
- I. LOVE. HGTV. My favorite show is House Hunters.
- I’m a big podcast fan. My favorites are This American Life (and its spinoffs), Radio Lab, Snap Judgement, and several from Gimlet Media.
- When I was in college I studied abroad for a year in Kenya. On my way back home I visited Egypt. It's impossible to describe what it's like to go on safari and see ancient ruins in person.
- I didn’t know until college that you could buy macaroni and cheese in a box. I was fortunate to grow up with a mom who cooked most everything (even bread and cakes) from scratch.
Check me out on the following podcasts
Listen in to hear me discuss health coaching, tips for a great birth experience (delayed cord clamping is important!), and what it's really like to deliver babies (sometimes poop is involved). All these shows were named new and noteworthy podcasts in iTunes.
Download Your Free Guide To Pain Management In Labor
It's a great guide to help you understand all your options - medication free techniques, medications, and epidurals.