Hello! I'm Nicole. I'm a wife, mother to two girls, an ob/gyn physician, and certified integrative health and wellness coach. I'm here to help women like you develop healthy lifestyle habits that last!
Click here to get my free guide "6 Steps To Build Healthy Habits Now!"
Why I became a health coach
I started out in medicine planning to combine research and patient care. I spent seven years at research and was pretty miserable. Research wasn't the right place for my talents. And in my clinical practice as a physician, 15 minute office visits weren't enough to help women achieve the lasting health and wellness they deserved. One day when I had 3 patients scheduled for the same time - again - I realized I had to do something different. In my soul searching about what to do next, I came across integrative health coaching and realized THIS is what I'm supposed to be doing.
My training to become a health coach
I went through a rigorous training program at Duke Integrative Medicine to become a certified integrative health coach. My training included experiential practice, mentored feedback, coaching skills training and successful completion of a written and oral exam. I learned from leaders in the health coaching field a holistic, scientific, evidence-based approach to help women like you make positive and lasting changes to their health.
Here’s the rest of my education and training outside of health coaching:
- Master of Public Health (MPH), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Training, Duke University Medical Center, Administrative Chief Resident
- Doctor of Medicine (MD), Eastern Virginia Medical School, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Bachelor of Science (BS) Mechanical Engineering, North Carolina A&T State University, Top 10 in School of Engineering
- Bachelor of Science (BS) Mathematics, Spelman College, Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
What’s special about my coaching
I tailor my signature program to fit your unique life circumstances. I take into account that your health is more than just physical. It's emotional, social, spiritual, even your environment affects your health. I'm your guide, supporter, and accountability partner through a process that helps you take action, sustain forward momentum, and finally develop healthy habits that last. And although when I’m your health and wellness coach I'm not providing services as a physician (see my full disclaimer), I do bring over 10 years of knowledge and experience from caring for women to our coaching relationship.
how you can work with me
I provide one-to-one coaching either by phone or video chat. Learn all the details of my personalized program here. You can also get my free guide "6 Steps To Build Healthy Habits Now!" to get you started.
I provide speaking services as well on a variety of topics such as women's health and how your health affects your professional development. My presentations are interactive and leave participants with specific steps to improve their health and well being.
If you'd like a free, no pressure opportunity to have your questions answered about what I can do to help you, please connect with me for a consult call.
do i still practice medicine
I sure do! I work as an ob/gyn hospitalist, which means most of my clinical time is spent on labor and delivery helping women bring life into this world. I absolutely love it and am a passionate advocate for helping women have a safe and fulfilling birth experience. I also volunteer at a clinic where I provide free care to low income women who don't have health insurance.
5 facts about me
- My first daughter was born 8 weeks premature and she had an intestinal malformation called duodenal atresia that required surgery. She spent 1 month in the NICU but she’s a perfectly healthy 9 year old now :).
- I love HGTV! I started to list my favorite shows but realized I was writing almost every show on the network….
- I’m a big fan of podcasts. My favorites are This American Life (and its spinoffs), Radio Lab, Snap Judgement, and pretty much everything from Gimlet Media.
- When I was in college I studied abroad for a year in Kenya. On my way back home I visited Egypt. It's impossible to describe what it's like to go on safari and see ancient ruins in person.
- I didn’t know until college that you could buy macaroni and cheese in a box. I was fortunate to grow up with a mom who cooked most everything (even bread and cakes) from scratch.
Check me out on the following podcasts
Listen in to hear me discuss health coaching, tips for a great birth experience (delayed cord clamping is important!), and what it's really like to deliver babies (sometimes poop is involved). All these shows were named new and noteworthy podcasts in iTunes.
Get "6 steps to build healthy habits now!"
Sign up to receive your free guide and health tips no more than once a week. Everything is clear and concise, with specific action steps to help you start building healthy habits right now.